The code editor captures all cut and copy operations, and stores the cut or
copied item on the clipboard ring. The clipboard ring stores the last 20
cut or copied text items, but you can configure the maximum number
by using the environment options dialog. The clipboard ring is an excellent
place to store scraps of text when you're working
with many documents and need to cut and paste between them.
To activate the clipboard ring:
- Choose Edit > Clipboard Ring > Clipboard Ring or press Ctrl+Alt+C.
- Right-click the toolbar area to display the View menu.
- Choose Clipboard Ring from the shortcut menu.
To paste from the clipboard ring:
- Cut or copy some text from your code. The last item you cut or
copy into the clipboard ring is the current item for pasting.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste the clipboard ring's
current item into the current document.
- Repeatedly press Ctrl+Shift+V to cycle through the entries
in the clipboard ring until you get to the one you want to permanently paste
into the document. Each time you press Ctrl+Shift+V, the editor
replaces the last entry you pasted from the clipboard ring, so you end
up with just the last one you selected. The item you stop on then becomes
the current item.
- Move to another location or cancel the selection. You can use
Ctrl+Shift+V to paste the current item again or to cycle the
clipboard ring to a new item.
Clicking an item in the clipboard ring makes it the current item.
To paste an item from the clipboard ring into the current document:
- Move the cursor to where you want to paste the
item into the document.
- Display the pop-up menu of the item to paste by clicking
the arrow on the right of the item.
- Choose Paste.
- Make the item you want to paste the current item by clicking it.
- Move the cursor to where you want to paste the item
into the document.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+V.
To paste all items into a document:
To paste all items on the clipboard ring into the current document, move the
cursor to where you want to paste the items and
do one of the following:
- Choose Edit > Clipboard Ring > Paste All.
- On the Clipboard Ring toolbar, click the Paste All button.
To remove an item from the clipboard ring:
- Display the pop-up menu of the item to delete by clicking the arrow at
the right of the item.
- Choose Delete.
To remove all items from the clipboard ring:
- Choose Edit > Clipboard > Clear Clipboard.
- On the Clipboard Ring toolbar, click the Clear Clipboard Ring
To configure the clipboard ring:
- Choose Tools > Options or press Alt+,.
- Click the Windows button to show the Clipboard Ring Options group.
- Select Preserve Contents Between Runs to save the content of the clipboard
ring between runs, or deselect it to start with an empty clipboard ring.
- Change Maximum Items Held In Ring to configure the maximum number of
items stored on the clipboard ring.